Friday, December 24, 2004

On books

Read recent blog by avi on his thoughts on Pride and Prejudice. It instantly reminded me the character of Meg Ryan and her love of Miss Bennet in the movie, "U Got Mail" and how passion of one person can induce others to follow the suit.
On the topic of books, given that nowadays, life is pretty relaxing, I have had good fortune to read a few very interesting books. The Diary of Young Girl, Anna Frank being one of them. Quote from the book "I trust in luck and do nothing but hard work", seemed to have stuck in my mind. The book is about this young girl at the tender age of 13 years being forced to go into hiding with her family in Nazi Holland, during the time when Hitler almost was on verge of conquering the whole of Europe. Anna is a very intelligent girl for her age and all her emotions being stuck up in a small hiding villa, upstairs of her fathers former office, are poured out in a diary which she maintained through out the period she was in the hidding until the day, SS found the family.

The other book I have read is "Train to Pakistan", by none other than Khuswant Singh.
It is a tragic story of a very laid back village, at the border between the newly formed country of Pakistan and India, finding itself in the midst of all the massacre and killings that followed partition of India in 1947. The protagonist of the plot, Juggat Singh, the gunda of the village, finds himself entangled in the chaos follwing the killing of the village landlord, and how he manages to save his pride and love and in the end his sacrifice resulting in 100s of lives being saved.

2 more recent books that I had fortune to read are by the same author, "Mitch Albom",
Tuesday with Morie, which I just happened to get and the other very recent book by him, "5 people we meet in heaven", which I saw while I was loitering at Kansas airport the other day. the prologue to the book seemed to enchant me and I ended up shelling 20 bucks at the book store. Am right now into the book and it simply is enchanting. As Amy Tan puts it, "its a novel u will devour when u fall in love"
and being very close to that, thats exactly what I am doing right now.


1 comment:

Parth said...

I am reading 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown right now. It is a precursor to the Da Vinci Code. I wanted to actually see the movie 'Train to Pakistan', but I haven't come across the cassette yet over here. The Diary of Young Girl too is up there on my list of things to read.