Saturday, January 29, 2005

sharukh

I have a few friends who abhor Sharukh so much that, whatever the case might be, they are extremely skillful, in finding faults in all of his performances, stressing a few trademark remarks, that his acting is monotonous, he infact is not a real actor, he overacts too much and much much more.
I recently had oppurtunity to watch two movies back to back of Sharukh. One is the recent, Swadesh, about a young indian, working for NASA in USA of A, who for the love of country and his life, decides to leave behind all the comforts in life and truely follows his heart back home, swadesh.
The second movie, an old one, which probably released like a year back, and one that I had watched earlier, Kal Ho Na Ho. Amazing performance by Sharukh, in the movie. After the movie, I had heard many a people sarcastically remarking about the prolonged ending and that how much time sharukhs character in the movie takes to die...that quite a few people were bitting their nails and praying hard enough that he dies and the movie ends.

However seeing the movie for the second time, I actually realised how elegantly Sharukh has portrayed the character of a dying man, with love for life and all that life represents. It was brilliant depiction and i shud say comparable if not better performance of character played in late seventies by Rajesh khanna, in the movie Anand.

Sharukh carried the entire movie solely on his wonderful performance. There are a few suttle cheap dialogs in the movie, which, for the second time if one watches the movie, come to light. For example, in the scene where, Sharukh gives Saif an ear phone to train him to woo preeti zinta. He says, "Ise Kan me dalna", and Saif interprets, "ise Kh... me dalna", and reiterates, what sharukh just asked him to do..
Second in a scene, where Saif comes with his father to preeties, home, to formally ask for preeties hand in marriages, he says, "....painter mere hool ko bhi paint karega" and the small kid erupts into laughter..The flow of the movie does produce its effect and one cant help but laugh.

I actually am able to correlate the character of sharukh in the two movies, with the character of Miles played by Paul Giamatti, in the recent hit, Sideways.
Correlation in sense that, life is not pretty most of time, but outlook is what matters.
How one carries oneself through life is what people remeber in the end and
small goods, even if it is say, allowing the old man in grocery line to checkout first, is very very important. It gives one a sense of self and actually is more satisfying and happiness enducing than many more materialistic joys in life.

Neways, I think I thoroughly enjoyed all the movies, mentioned above and yes I for sure think Sharukh for all his weaknesses , still is one of the best actors hindi movie has produced so far.

6 comments:

Avinash said...

Hey Sachin, U can freely name me in ur blog. I won't mind :-) Anyway good for u that u enjoyed Swades (haven't seen it myself yet). But I stand by my evaluation of KHNH. I did sleep thru the 2nd part and my story about one person shouting in the theater at the end is also absolutely true. Anyway to each his own.

Parth said...

Avinash actually approved of Swades :-) SRK must read this entry :-)

Parth said...

Correction: Apparently he hasn't seen Swades yet. I stand dissapointed :-(

Without_Borders said...

hmm...interesting. What did u think of swadesh overall? I mean as far as the point that the film is trying to convey?

Sachin said...

Swadesh is a movie about passion of a single person and as such I think it does not convey any message but, follow ur heart.
There are a few people I know who belong to this organization called AID, who did, if not exactly the same but similar thing of
finishing their PhDs here and then taking up social work as fulltime occupation back in INDIA.
So taken on its face value, which one shud, the movie is a good depiction of an intelligent, smart guy who knows what he wants and sets forth with courage to get it.

Anonymous said...

The best comment I have heard about SRK is by Rakesh "He is not an actor, he is a star". Yes he can pull huge crowds and yes he can do romantic roles. But acting ... the lesser said the better. For example, I don't remember the movie in which he was playing a dying patient. People said that they cried when he died. I cried too. He died an hour too late. I do like some of his movies but I am in no dillusion that he is an actor. I sometimes like Lalu for the same reason. He is an entertainer. :)