Sunday, February 06, 2005

Life is beautiful

I am going through a bad phase in life.. recently laid off, in debt and depressed..I have a rich friend somewhere in the city. I think of that friend of mine, who actually was love of my life, in bygone days, now married to some rich city man..
I wonder, should I visit her and ask for help. Will she help me. Will it look good on me. Am I doing the right thing. So many questions fly by my mind.. Its impossible to restraint myself..
I finally decide to visit her. I see her, in her house full of antique furniture, drapped in silk saree, and am in awe of her affluence. How could I, present myself as a nonety, to her, a lady, living a life of luxury and richness and bliss and comfort.. My cell phone rings right then. The cell phone actually given to me by my high school friends wife, while my stay in the big city. This gives me oppurtunity to brag in front of my ex, as to how, I flurt with my secretary, who stays in the city to take care of our huge enterprise. I tell her everything that is not..and hear from her everything that is..

She then leaves the house, to get me hot lunch. She tells me all the servants are out and she has not cooked a meal in long time... so the need to actually get food from outside. Suddenly there is knock on the door, some random guy enters the house with the intention of using the restroom, and starts talking about the affairs of this ex.

I learn from him that actually my ex, is in a state far worse than me.. The house full of furniture is actually owned by some furniture renting company. The house that she is staying in is actually owned by him and that he has not received even a single pie of rent for past 10 months and how in couple of days, my ex with her alcoholic husband will be on road.

I give the loan money that I had borrowed for my work, to this landlord and ask the man to give her and her husband some leeway. She comes back, with hot puris, and continued deception. I pretend to listen to all of her stories about her splendor...

I come home, taking adieu from her. In my raincoat pocket I find a letter from her.
Covered in the letter are some of her jewellery. She tells me, I should have asked her for money which I was in so need of..she tells me, had she been my wife, wouldnt have I approched her. So here she was giving her jewellery to help me out of my dire strait..

The movie ends..

Yes the above sketched plot is from very recent movie, Raincoat, starring Aishwarya Rai and Ajay Dewghan... excellent insight into human psyche, telling us that being in love implies lying and smiling even when the heart is breaking..
Simply awesome...
To end with what Gulzar says

"Kahin ye hawa ka jhonkha tha, jo deewar par lagi, taswir ko teercha kar gaya"

5 comments:

Without_Borders said...

For a minute there I thought you were actually talking about your life. I was about to say if you need help I have a ton in san diego who could help you out :-) lol. Glad you liked the movie. I loved it. Gulzar is amazing.

Parth said...

I am glad you liked the movie. In case you didn't notice, the plot is the same as the O'Henry's short story 'The gift of Magi'

Sachin said...

hey parth,

i havent noticed cause i dont know the short story by O Henry ...
Neways, do u think its worth a read.. if so let me know

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.